Saturday, September 11, 2010

Something to Crow About


Every year, for as long as I can remember, we have ended summer with the Canfield Fair. Five years of living in Michigan has not changed that tradition. Our hometown fair is one of the largest county fairs in the country; and, in my opinion, the best! It is six days of fun, friends and fried food.


This year was one of the best we've had. We went to the fair for four full days. The kids did remarkably well considering they were tired and full of corn dogs and giant lemonades most of the time. We tried to check out different things each day to keep things interesting.


Our first stop, on the first day, was MACHINERY! Aidan had been talking about seeing the old machines for an entire year. We spent hours and hours looking at old steam engines, tractors and other assorted farm equipment. I thought he'd get his fill the first day. I was wrong. I think we spent more time in that area during the week than I have in my entire life.


We also spent some time playing GAMES the first day. I'm not usually one to waste money on dumb stuff (unless it's for me); but, the games were reasonable and the operators were really nice to the kids. Everyone got a prize. Adelaide even got to take home her duck. It might have had something to do with her reaction when she found out that she was supposed to trade it in for a prize.


The second day was all about RIDES! I can't believe my child would even get on one. I also can't believe that I've become a mother that happily straps my firstborn son into a rusty old contraption assembled by teenagers that will fling him through space. Adelaide has mellowed me.


I thought the ride operators were all exceptionally kind to the kids. I suppose I held certain preconceived notions about "carnies"; but, these ones really changed my mind. So... to you, Crazy Bus operator and all of your coworkers, I say, "Thank you! You're doing an awesome job!" (Just not you, Tubs of Fun lady, you were kinda cranky).


We spent most of the third day talking with old friends and hiding out in the grandstand from the rain. We also used the time to browse the animal barns and check out all the cute peeps. (Not Youngstown slang -look how cute they are!)


Our last day was big fun, too. We gave each and every machine and tractor one more thorough investigation. We played a few more games, ate our last round of yummy fair food, oh...and bought THREE chickens. (MUCH more to follow on that...)

No comments:

Post a Comment