Thursday, October 17, 2013

Initiating Quilt Mode

A few years ago, I found this fun patchwork robot fabric on clearance for a ridiculously cheap price. I think I paid about five bucks for the entire remnant.  I had originally planned to make Aidan a little bath robe with it; but, I never really could find a pattern I liked that would be lined and also, not a giant pain.  So,  it has been in my stash for quite a while.


On Sunday, I decided it would be a super great idea to make a blanket for Aidan's upcoming birthday.  He'll be seven on Saturday.  Monday, I headed to Joann's just before closing (along with five-hundred other shoppers) to take advantage of their Columbus day sale.  I found this super soft turquoise blue fabric that reminded me of the old vellux blankets.  I knew my snuggly Buddy would LOVE it.  I, of course, also purchased several other fabrics to fill the soon-to-be-developing hole in my stash.


I had intended to make this a really quick project.  I wasn't planning to make a quilt.  I was thinking I would just make a small, quick blanket, wrong-sides-together, turn it, stitch is closed and be done. BUT, I just couldn't resist giving the quilt a go.  I did still have four sewing days until the party.  I didn't really have any sort of a plan, the right materials, know-how or a clue.  But... I had a dream and that's really all a girl and her Bernina needs, right?

The project actually went surprisingly well.  After I cut my fabric, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to fit it all through my machine.  So, I only stitched the vertical stripes in the quilt.  I'm not sure I  could have actually fit enough of the quilt under my machine to manage all of the horizontal stripes AND I forgot to buy thread so I was trying to conserve my two tiny spools.

I cheated on the binding and just did some folding and tucking in the corners.  I'm not sure if that was wise.  If anyone can identify an improperly-mitered corner, I'm sure Aidan can... and will. All of that puffy, fluffy backing was a bit of a headache to stuff through my machine. (Thank goodness for my Jeans Foot impulse buy a few years ago when I thought I would hem jeans because you know how often I need to shorten my pants.) The fluffy backing was wonderful for hiding mistakes and crooked lines and all sorts of other mishaps, though.


I'm really happy with the results and I think Aidan will love it.  Matt said Aidan's going to still have it on his couch when he's in his thirties.  I said I'm sure his wife will be ecstatic.



No comments:

Post a Comment