Thursday, August 23, 2012

My Sparkly Blue Bucket

There are literally hundreds of online tutorials about making your own laundry soap.  The one thing they all seem to have in common is that they are EXACTLY THE SAME.  I have been wanting to try making my own batch for a while; but, the recipes are all soap-based and not very cloth-diaper friendly.  

A few weeks ago, I found this posting for a cloth-diaper safe laundry detergent and I decided to give it a try.  The recipe given made quite a large batch so I cut everything down by a third.  We all have pretty sensitive skin and I didn't want a giant vat of the stuff if we wouldn't be able to use it.

The recipe is really simple:  washing soda, borax and Oxi-Clean.  I used Oxi-Clean Free since we will use it for cloth diapers; but, I'm sure you could use regular if you're not washing diapers.  All the ingredients are dry, so there's no melting, cooking or soaking required.  I just poured everything in and mixed it up with a handy dandy plunger stick that Aidan "collected" from my parents house.  I spent less than $10 bucks on all of my "ingredients".  My only splurge was this super cute sparkly bucket from my beloved ACO.


(When I brought this bucket home, EVERYONE in this house wanted it.  But it's mine.  All mine.)

Even cutting the recipe down considerably, I still ended up with a lot of detergent.  We've actually been using this detergent for about two weeks now and I still have a ton in my bucket.  You only need a small amount per load.  I use 2 Tablespoons for a regular full load and 1 Tablespoon for diapers or partial loads.  The detergent works really well and I am so happy with it that I doubt I'll ever buy bottled detergent again!


No comments:

Post a Comment